Thursday, June 4, 2009

Happy Birthday to me......I guess

As my birthday approached, I was looking forward to celebrating it with a camping trip at the Colorado River near Needles, California during Memorial Weekend. Since our RV died two years ago, our 4-day home would be in a large two-room tent and a double easy-up awning. Jim, Nicholas, Ian, the dog and I packed up the truck, hooked up the jet skis and had a nice 5-hour drive to the river. Jason and his family were there as well. By the time we got our campsite set up, I wasn’t feeling well but did my best to cook a nice meal on the Coleman stove in the dark and heavy winds. The next morning I woke up very sick and seemed to get more sick each day. I was able to enjoy a boat ride and a few outings on the jet skis but mostly slept. Jim bought me a cake and I received two gifts and cards and everyone at the campsite sang “Happy Birthday” but I was too sick to enjoy it. On the way home I slept the entire way, arriving home to a flooded kitchen, dining room and living room from a broken water filter on the frig. After a quick trip to the doctor, I was diagnosed with Bronchial Pneumonia and received some meds. Shortly afterwards, our kitchen and adjoining rooms were a mess with Insurance Claims Adjusters, and Water Damage Crew, furniture and décor packed-up and moved out, our carpet and padding was removed and the walls cut open.
Our house currently has the pungent odor of old wet wood and Listerine (the smell of the chemical used to prevent mold) with the continual windy sound of the dehumidifiers and air mover machines trying to dry out the second level of the house. Happy birthday to me….I guess!

4 comments:

Jarom and Melissa said...

Sounds like you had a "great" birthday. I'm sorry about the pneumonia (isn't that what your mom had too?) and the flooding. Dealing with insurance claims is never fun either. Happy Birthday anyway. I hope you're feeling better and that you managed to enjoy your Memorial Day weekend.

Leah said...

I did love the camping - even in the tent with intense heat and wind. Think of how much more I would have enjoyed it had I been well. The house is a smelly mess but at least we'll get new floors and a new paint job out of it.
Leah

Allie Thornbrue said...

Yikes! I would absolutely die!

Maegan said...

honestly- a woman too sick to eat her own birthday cake? Sad day!